It’s the last official Friday of the summer! We’ve been honking right along, despite the competition (or welcome reprieve) of the State Fair, with catering, special events, and delivery.
- We cranked out 67 BEAUTIFUL raviolo for our Boot in the Barn Feast on September 9th. Eric’s special pasta recipe is stuffed with Bayfield sheep’s milk ricotta, Parmigiano Reggiano, Minnesota sweet corn, leeks, and love.
- Stephen finished the Cedar Lounge menu – making this cozy Superior watering hole even more unique: it’s the only place in Superior we will be providing regular delivery!
- Northern Waters Restaurant has been offering a Burbot Po’ Boy sandwich – based on the New Orleans original but adapted for the Northwoods, it’s a must-try!
- Ken Hammerlund, mystical vegetable genius (aka our tomato guy), appeared with his own blend hot sauce. We’ve been working on our own recipe, and his zesty, veggie-infused concoction is a great inspiration.
- Woody’s brand new baby boy has robbed him from our basement! Jeremy has been holding down the prep room nonetheless, even as the sandwich cooler has been on the fritz, employees have called in sick, and delivery has exploded! Thanks, Jerbaby Boi.
- BONUS: Boot in the Barn planning is revving up. We’ve selected a remarkable amount of crystal, travertine, bronze, and silver to make a Medici marvel. Ci vediamo li!
It’s Friday, and the weekend is just gearing up. Our busy shop season is nearing the end. There is sure to be a bustling shop this weekend and all the shenanigans that go with it, but here’s 5 things that happened this past week, at #thesmokehaus:
- As we have probably all forgotten already, Monday was the Solar Eclipse. The country seemed to be a buzz with the impending total eclipse, but NOT HERE IN DULUTH! NOPE! Go figure, a cloudy day here and we were stuck inside making sandwiches, processing meat, prepping food, and packing box after box of bacon. They tell me I will learn to love this “cool” weather in Duluth. They also tell me these 70 boxes that went out this week ain’t nothin’ compared to the holiday mail order season. Eeek! :/
- Taylor and Eric make a giant Porketta. We’re talking almost 20 pounds of butterflied pork loin and pork belly smothered in herbs and rolled to perfection. Several hours in the smoker will have that belly caramelized just right. Have you ever seen such beauty? And look at that Porketta! 🙂 This Tuscan-style porketta will be the focal point up our upcoming and final Barn Dinner of the season. We love putting on these events. We get to showcase our skills outside of the Smokehaus, and be creative and innovative. We get to bring people together over food (what we do best).
- Jerry made some bread this week (as he does every week). By the numbers: 1 guy, 80 loaves of bread, 1 tiny oven! Impressive, no? Jerry’s evil plan is to be a full time baker for the shop. YAASSSS! Right now he bakes all of this in a 2x2x2 Blodgett oven, a true testament to his commitment and love of bread-making.
- Can we talk for a minute about how we all hate packing peanuts? They are the worst! Always sticking themselves to your clothes and hands. We’re practically swimming in them here. But sadly they are a necessary component for shipping. 🙁 These 20 cubic foot bags are just ridiculous. With only 1 very over-used elevator at the DeWitt-Seitz Building, our employees hoisted these prodigious packs of peanuts up 3 flights of public stairs and public stares! A hilarious sight to see. Now they loom and tower over our ever enclosing office space.
- And unto us, a Smokehaus baby was born. Well, not exactly to us, but to our dear employee, Woody! We waited with anticipation all last week and as the silly due date came and went. Woody finally took his leave and we all blankly looked at each other wondering how we would know when it finally came. And finally this week, we get to say, “Congrats to the happy couple!”
Hello folks – there are so many things that happen at #thesmokehaus each week, it’s high time we start sharing a little more of the day to day from our island of food weirdos. Come along for the ride and catch up with 5 things that happened every week. We’ll share on Fridays. It’s not guaranteed to be a revelation or an earth-shattering event, but more of the laughter, food and quirkiness that keeps us coming together every week.
Here’s 5 things that happened at #thesmokehaus this week:
- Finished a little bacon project – that’s 120# sliced and packaged for a major order going out next week! People came together to get it done. It’s nice when we come together over bacon.
- Made “The Big Meg” on Thursday for lunch. Another sandwich on our “hidden menu” that has existed behind the scenes over the years. This one exists from the mind of a former great, as far as Smokehausers go. Russian dressing, lettuce, tomato, corned beef, red onion, cheddar, chopped pickles – toasted, baby!
- Speaking of babies, a baby was not born – Woody and wife have been expecting a baby any day now for the past week. We all come to work each day in hopes the little Smokehaus baby has come. Nope! A big fat, NOPE! Hang in there Kiah!
- Some folks go to Hoops – We deliver sandwiches to #HoopsBrewing, and wanted to catch up with our friends over there. It’s nice to tell the people that matter to you that you like them, are here for them, and want to feed them.
- Someone calls for mail order smoked eel – Uh, we don’t have smoked eel. FYI, if you thought we had smoked eel, we do not carry smoked eel.